Pages

Feb 2, 2012

Tour of New Braunfels 2012 Omloop

The race started off rather fast. Nothing unexpected, for many people this was the start of the race season. I was no exception. I quickly found a few of my teammates and decided to stay close to them. I needed to stay near the front and make sure no large splits happened, especially if no one from SS was represented. As the first few laps unfolded, I was taking the cobwebs off my mind and legs as I remembered how to ride in a group again. This included basic group riding etiquette from cycling 101 (ride heads up, don't overlap wheels, draft, ect). As the race progressed so did my confidence. I was riding up at the front like I needed to and was able to follow moves.
Post Omloop Sightseeing
As the raced progressed to the 20 minute mark a large split formed off the front of the pack. Shane was able to get into this powerful move with about 10 (?) others. Several racers that missed the break tried to get across to it. I even followed a few attacks to get across my self, but the leaders were too far up the road. Any bridge attempts were quickly brought back into the fold. Towards the end of the race I had used a lot of my energy going after chase groups and did not have the ability to contest the group sprint. I rolled in safely at the back of the pack. Shane was able to get a 4th place.


First race of the year as well as  my first race with the team. Needless to say I had a successful day, and I will be super happy to see where the rest of the season will be take me.